Subtitled: Storing and Organizing Hand-Me-Down Clothing
As I mentioned last week, my husband has been gone on a two week training session... His last day is today, and (since this particular training is only a few hours drive away) he will be home tonight!
When he left I decided that, in addition to just maintaining (keeping up with the regular housework and homeschooling), I was going to try and get a couple projects completed that I've been wanting to get done for a long time.
I started with having my boys bring all the tubs and bags of clothing that were in the little storage area above their closet/bathroom to my bedroom. It was a mess! Big boys clothes was mixed in with little boy clothes. Shoes were stored with the same size clothing that the last child happened to wear them with. I even found some girl clothes mixed in with boy clothes. I had to take everything out and re-sort through it all... At least, with the training (unlike the unpredictable fire assignments), I didn't have to worry about my husband coming home early to his side of the room taken over by clothing and looking like this (and much worse at times):
He arrives home tonight though, and I was able to finish in time! I reduced the quantity of clothing down to one storage tote per size (one for boys and one for girls) and put the shoes all in smaller separate totes. We ended up taking a carload full of stuff to donate as well.
I did end up keeping two totes of size 4 boy and size 18/24/2T girls since those are the sizes that Snuggles and Rose are currently wearing, and I will reduce the quantity over the next few months, and only store what fits in the tote after they outgrown those sizes... An almost 2 year old girl doesn't really need 45+ complete skirt and dress outfits now, does she?!
The closet organizers in the nursery are working out great so far! I still need to cut the bars for the baby's side, and get drawers and doors for the left side, but I was so excited to find the fabric drawers for Buy 1 Get 1 One Free at a local store this week!
I printed labels for each tote in word, printing two to a page (all 8 on one page for the shoes), and then attached them to the totes with some packing tape. I am really happy with how it all turned out. Now if I could just figure out a way to get them all in to that great new storage area above our dining room... Perhaps I should get Hubby an extension later (and a pulley!) for our anniversary next weekend on the 2nd! ;)
I am really hoping this will make finding and storing the clothes a little simpler. I'd love to hear how you store your children's old clothing, and how you decide what to keep!
Now that I finally have this all done, I can finally get back to a few other projects I'm working on, including the plans for Little Flowers. But first I am going to relax and enjoy the weekend with my family!