When we made our first lap book, I too wasn't sure if I had to go and purchase a special folder. The frugal momma in me was very excited to find that all I needed was a file folder, and I had a whole CASE of those from Costco!! Yeah!!
Here is a basic tutorial on how to make/fold a file folder to become a Lapbook:
For our Butterfly Lapbook, we used the basic layout with a yellow file folder--yes, I couldn't help buying a pack of various color folders!--and added an extension.
We now have a great book called The Ultimate Lap Book Handbook that illustrates all the various types of Layouts, Extensions and Assembly, in addition to directions on how to make a number of various mini-books and ideas for Lapbook themes. (We are hoping to make the "Ten Commandment" lap book soon!) However, if you scroll to the bottom of this pdf file you can see an illustration of how to add on the small extension that we used. It says to use cardstock, but since I didn't have any yellow cardstock, we trimmed a piece of yellow construction paper and attached it with clear packing tape, and this worked just fine.
Now, if you need to make your Lapbook really roomy, you can use two file folders and make a Double Lapbook:
We used a Double Lapbook when the boys made their Grinch Lapbooks. OH! There is quite a few more quick lessons on youtube too!
In addition, here are a few of the resources that I have found helpful:
- Lapbooking on Squidoo -This site is packed with info and pictures!
- Notebooking Pages - Lots of free resources including notebooking pages and lapbooking templates.
- CurrClick - Each week they offer a free product for download--This is where we got our Grinch Lapbook.
- Hands Of A Child - This site offers a free download each quarter-- This is where we got Turkey Time.
- The Home School Mom: Lap books - This has pictures of student lap books.
- Homeschool Share - Lots of Free Lapbooks -- including quite a few based on FIAR books.
- Homeschool Share - TONS of printable mini book templates for inside your lapbook.
- Homeschool Helper - This has even more lapbook designs--I got some of the ideas for the Butterfly lapbook here-- as well as lots of printable lapbook templates!
- And, I must mention Meredith! She is full of ideas, and I just love Matthias's 1st Communion Notebook (slightly different than a lapbook). Captain has begun one like it in preparation for his First Communion.
If anyone has any favorite resources they like to share, go ahead and leave them! I'm always on the lookout for more ideas!